Writing an Observation Essay Made Easy
Observation essays are different from other types of essays, such as argumentative or expository essays, because they don’t require any analyzing and coming up with convincing arguments. The main purpose of observational essay is to demonstrate your observational skills, attention to details and receptiveness. This article will try to make writing an observation essay easy and effective. We will discuss the important characteristics of observation essays, as well as some tips on choosing right observation essay topic ideas. After you have composed your observational essay, you might like to order professional editing services from Star-Writers. Our editors will help your essay to stand out among the others, ensuring you good grades and positive impression on your teachers or professors.
Features of Outstanding Observation Essay
Star-Writers have a lot of experience in writing observation essays, thus they know which characteristic help to turn a mediocre essay into an outstanding one. If you face any difficulties in composing any kind of essay, you are welcome to ask our expert authors for writing assistance. There are some important features of this paper that you should keep in mind before you begin planning and outlining your observation essay:
- The main point of an observation essay is to describe a person, group of people, nature, event or a place. Later we will discuss how to choose a perfect topic for your observation essay;
- When composing an observation essay, you must always use a first person singular to present your observations. Don’t be afraid to say “I”, which is usually too personal for other types of essays;
- Use present time to describe the place, even or people you are observing. Even if something you describe happened in the past, you should still use the present simple of continuous in your essay. Just try to imagine that the setting, person or events unfolding in front of your eyes as you write. Otherwise, you can write the first draft of your observation essay in the past and later change it to the present time;
- The observation essay style is often used in professional journalism reports. It allows readers to feel that they personally present at the event and witness it first-hand. You might like to read some of such news reports to get an idea how a good observational writing must look like. And later when you write your own paper, to make it more exciting, you can imagine yourself to be a journalist, who writes a field report;
- Make sure you use clear, precise, descriptive language when writing your observation essay. The narrative must be full of vivid details and imagery to make your readers feel that they also observe the same things. Use a good dictionary and thesaurus to find the most suitable words. However, if you are not sure in your skills with words, you can benefit from using our rewriting service. Star-Writers will help you to get all the words right;
- To make your description more vivid and immediate, use as many sensory details as possible. For example, write about the smell, colors, sounds, textures, etc.;
- Observation essay doesn’t have the strict rigid structure like, for example, an argumentative essay. It is up to you what you write in each paragraph and the way you carry out your observations. However, there are some general requirements about the very first paragraph. It must set the theme of your essay and present the settings. It means you need to answer the questions of where, when, what and how the described happens.
Developing Observation Essay Ideas
Often college professors or school teachers give precise assignments for observational essays. They tell you exactly what you should write about, for example to observe an elderly couple in the park or people at some art exhibition. But it is also possible to have an open topic, meaning that it is up to you what to observe and write about. Your choice of a subject would also tell a great deal about your personality and worldview.
If you feel at loss with topics for your observation essay, then these tips might help you to make a right choice:
- Consider the available options. If you live in the middle of the desert it would be impossible for you to observe the behavior of dolphins in their natural habitat. So when choosing a subject of your observation, think about what is available for you. If you live not far from the park, you might go there and watch people or nature. If you neighborhood is full with different cafes, you will surely be able to watch some fascinating characters down there;
- Consider your interests. It is much easier to write about something you like, so don’t go to observe theater performance if you can’t stand it. Make a list of things you really like, maybe it is car racing, arm wrestling or street dancing. Then choose out of this list a subject that is available for you to observe. You can also take a look at some popular topics ideas on our blog, maybe one would inspire you for your essay;
- When you settle for your so called field trip, don’t forget to bring with you a pen and a notebook. As you observe your subject keep taking notes of everything you see, hear, smell and feel. These notes will greatly assist you later with outlining your essay;
- When you take your notes, pay attention not only to the subject itself, but at the things that happen around it; any interaction with the outside world, the weather at the moment of observation, the reaction of other people towards the observed subject. All these details are crucial for the success of you paper.
Observation essay is an interesting and fairly simple paper to write. You don’t need to do any previous research or analyze any data. All you need is a good subject and some time to perform the observation. However, don’t let this simplicity trick you into taking this task too lightly. You have to remember about proper paragraph organization, grammar and punctuation. Star-Writers can help you to fix any structural or grammar errors that are present in your essay. Order our expertly editing and writing services for a very low price. Moreover, if you register right now, you will be able to receive a fabulous discount up to 20% for your first order.